Monday, October 12, 2009

Assaggio Ristorante - Downtown Seattle/Belltown

Assaggio has been around for many years, and it's known for its good Italian food and warm and welcoming owner. Many years after my first visit, I had the chance to go again in September. Expectations were high! Assaggio is not too far from the Westin Hotel, nestled in or between more hotels. It is at the edge of Downtown and Belltown where I don't know where one ends and the other begins. Tom Douglas' Lola is right on the corner of the same block and "out there" to the point where I almost mistook Assaggio as an extension of Lola - but I kept my eyes open!

My friends and I went for lunch on a Saturday. Except for a few other small parties, they had one big group in the middle of the "cozy" restaurant. Strategically placed mirrors and the large windows enlarge the room, but if you focus on the placement of the tables...it's a little too close to comfort for me. But that's just me. The painting on the walls seem a little overdone (might I even say kitschy?), but I'm here for the food. We first ordered appetizers: "Vongole" (Clams, garlic, oregano, white wine) and the Calamari fried in lemon and parsley.


We all loved both! The calamari was not heavy on the breading nor the grease. They were also tender and not at all chewy. The mark of fresh calamari! The clams were tasty and had a little spicy kick. The broth itself was buttery, full of flavor and a little on the salty side - nothing that some bread couldn't fix! I like it salty, so I pretty much drank/ate all the broth. At the bottom of the bowl, we found a slice of bread that had soaked up the broth. Soggy and salty. Almost inedible. I learned that my love of salt does have a limit! Would I order these starters again? Yes, yes, yes!


For entrees, I ordered the special for that day which was the beef tenderloin with red wine risotto and mushrooms. My friend had the "Ravioli Cappesante". I can't remember what our third diner had and the picture didn't turn out great, so I will refrain from commenting on his dish. He did seem to enjoy it though!

Beef Tenderloin Risotto



"Ravioli Cappesante" (Cheese filled ravioli, sea scallops, green onion, saffron cream)

The "meat risotto" was just all right. A little bland. Nothing on the plate really stood out. My love of steak disappointed me a little that day. However, my friend's ravioli was just awesome! The scallops were tender and fresh. The ravioli oozed insidey goodness and the sauce was creamy. This is comfort food. I felt warm, happy, relaxed...blissful even! I'm pretty sure that as I took the bite, I looked at the ceiling, sighed (actually, my eyes may have been closed!), and mmmmhh-ed until I finished. Would I order this again? Definitely!! But I will pass on the special.

I noticed on their website that they serve osso bucco for dinner, so I will have to make another trip to Assaggio. But maybe this time, I will not let years pass by before I return.

2010 4th Avenue
Seattle, Washington 98121
(206) 441-1399

No comments:

Post a Comment